Get snap happy and you could scoop a trip of a lifetime for you and your family!
Do you love taking photos? Well, if you’ve got an eye for amazing animals, stunning scenery, fascinating faces or things that make you chuckle, make sure you enter the National Geographic Photography Contest for Kids 2016! One lucky winner will fly off on the trip of a lifetime – a seven-day family holiday to Atlantis, Paradise Island in The Bahamas!
What’s more, if you’re one of our four category winners, you’ll scoop an amazing Nikon DSLR camera. What are you waiting for?!
If YOU are the overall winner of the National Geographic Photography Contest for Kids 2016 you’ll be whisked off on an unforgettable seven-day family holiday in The Bahamas! You’ll snorkel with exotic marine life, splash down spectacular waterslides, learn about pirates and feast on yummy food. Woo hoo!
You and your family will swim alongside beautiful fish in The Bahamas’ crystal-clear waters, then travel to Big Major’s Cay, aka ’Pig Island’, in The Exumas, where you’ll get up close to the famous pigs that paddle out to greet visitors! Back on dry land, you’ll visit the Pirates of Nassau Museum, which brings to life the swashbuckling activities of the region’s pirates. You could also find out more about the islands’ history by visiting some of the capital’s other museums and galleries.
If you love food, you’ll be in for a tasty treat, because your prize includes the Tru Bahamian Food Tour! You’ll take a stroll around Nassau trying the local food – from conch fritters to natural tropical gelato and artisan chocolates – while your eyes take in the fascinating historical landmarks. And, of course, there’s all that lovely sunshine to enjoy. Wow!
If you’re one of our four category winners, you’ll shoot off with one of these amazing Nikon D5500 digital SLR cameras, worth over £500!
The fantastic 24.2-mega-pixel camera will help you capture unforgettable images, even in low light. With an 8.1cm touch-screen monitor that swivels so you can shoot pics in different directions, the D5500 can even film HD video! Then, thanks to its built-in WiFi, your pictures and videos can be beamed to a computer or tablet in an instant. How cool is that?!
And because it’s an SLR camera, you can connect different lenses – perfect for zooming in on The Bahamas’ amazing wildlife!
All four category winners will go on to represent the UK and Ireland in the National Geographic International Photography Contest, competing against NG KiDS readers from around the world!
The winner of the international contest will get to visit Washington D.C., home of the US President… and National Geographic’s worldwide HQ!
Images taken during your holidays...
- Whether you snap landmarks, ancient monuments, festivals, parties, meals, people, or just time relaxing at home, this category is wide open!
- Try to tell a story – did you have fun on your hols? Then make sure your picture shows that!
Weird but True
Photographs that capture something funny or odd...
- This could be a strange thing you saw while you were out with your friends, a picture you took when something unexpected happened, or a silly scene that you set up. If it makes you laugh, snap it!
- Always have your camera handy. You never know when you’ll need it!
Photos of pets, zoo animals or wild animals…
- To get the best perspective, take animal pics from the creature’s eye level.
- Use your camera’s zoom or close-up mode to get lovely detail. Just make sure you don’t get so close that you disturb or upset the animal!
Dare to Explore
Your pictures of outdoor scenery…
- From lakes, forests, mountains and fields to skies, beaches and even skyscrapers, don’t be afraid to get creative! Make the most of natural light and experiment with unusual perspectives.
- Play around with your camera’s settings to blur the background or make the entire image sharp as a button!
This year’s judges are top nature telly presenter Michaela Strachan and National Geographic photographer, Reza.
Michaela, who’ll soon be working on the awesome Autumn Watch show for the BBC, can’t wait to see your entries. “I’m always amazed at the talent of your young photographers,” she says. “It can take a lot of time and patience to get a top wildlife photo.
"I’m really looking forward to seeing the variety and talent in this year’s competition. Good luck everyone!"
Reza has travelled the world taking amazing pictures for National Geographic. But he loves judging your photos, too!
“It’s a pleasure to be involved in the kids’ photography contest once again,” he says. “Good luck!”
Send one email per category (maximum of four emails in total) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure that the subject of each email contains your name and the category you’re entering, ie. ‘Harriet Smith, Amazing Animals’. You must also include your age, date of birth, contact details, plus a title or caption to go with each picture. Only attach one photo to each email. Each picture must be a JPEG between 1– 5MB in size. By entering via email you certify that you took the photo and you acknowledge that your parent / guardian agrees to your participation in the competition.
Download and print the postal entry form, then fill it in with a parent or guardian and post it along with your photographs (you must only send one photograph per category) to: Photography Competition, National Geographic Kids, Unit 1.04 Clerkenwell Workshops, 31 Clerkenwell Close, London, EC1R 0AT.
•Contest is open only to legal residents of the UK and Ireland who are between the ages of 6 and 14 at the time of entry.
•Employees of Creature Media, National Geographic Society, the prize providers, their affiliates and subsidiaries, and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they live) or persons living in the same households of such individuals, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter or win a prize.
•Emailed entries must be between 1 megabyte and 5 megabytes in size, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels tall (if a vertical image).
•Digital entries need not be taken with a digital camera; scans of negatives, transparencies, or photographic prints are acceptable.
•Postal entries must be colour or black-and-white prints, any size up to 20.3cm x 25.4cm (8” x 10”).
•Name of entrant, category of entry, title of the photo, address (with country) of entrant’s parent or guardian, and phone number of entrant’s parent or guardian should appear on back of each print.
•Disks or negatives are not acceptable.
•Original transparencies and negatives, or in the case of digital images a minimum 12.7cm x 17.8cm (5”x7”) 300dpi JPEG of the winning photographs must be available so they can be published.
•Do not send in transparencies, negatives or disks to accompany the photographs.
•Photographs taken with digital camera or conventional films are eligible.
•Minor burning, dodging and/or colour correction is acceptable.
•Cropping is acceptable, as are fish-eye lenses. Any changes to the original photograph not itemised here are unacceptable and will render the photograph ineligible for a prize.
•Mounted or framed photographs are not acceptable.
•Photographs must be taken not more than three (3) years before the date of entry.
•Limit one entry per person per Category.
•The Contest entrant must be the photographer him or herself.
•NG Kids may wish to contact readers in the future by email on behalf of BTO, if you do not wish to be contacted, please state in your email entry or by ticking the relevant box(es) on the entry form. The closing date is 23:59 (GMT) on 15 October 2016.
•By entering the Contest, all entrants (and their respective parents and legal guardians) grant a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide license to National Geographic Partners, its designees, licensees, parents, subsidiaries and affiliates (“Authorized Parties”), to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entries (along with a name credit) in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media or social media activities.
THE UK AND IRELAND GRAND PRIZE
The overall winner will win a 7 (seven)-day holiday to The Bahamas for a family of four, hosted by Atlantis, Paradise Island and the Bahamas Tourist Office.
This Caribbean adventure takes you to the heart of Nassau/Paradise Island to explore the history of and discover the marine life that abounds in the oceans surrounding The Islands Of The Bahamas and which is a key element of the Atlantis, Paradise Island resort.
Prize Terms and conditions:
1. The prize is for 2 adults and 2 children aged up to and including 14 years old and includes:
•A 7 day family holiday for two adults and two children aged up to and including 14 years old
•Direct flights from London Heathrow to Nassau
•Return transfers from Nassau airport to Atlantis Paradise Island
•7 nights in a family room in The Royal Towers, Atlantis, Paradise Island
•Access to the Aquaventure water park and The Dig marine exhibits included
•The hotel stay is on room only basis
•No hotel meals are included
•Optional extras are not included
•Entrance for four to the Pirates of Nassau Museum
•Four places on the Tru Bahamian Food Tours ‘Bites of Nassau’ tour
•Exuma Escapes excursion for four to the swimming pigs in The Exumas is included, subject to weather conditions.
2. The Bahamas Tourist Office administrators’ decision is final.
•Winners will be notified by 21 November 2016.
•The trip must be taken before 1 December 2017.
•The trip must be booked 60 days prior to travel.
•The trip must be booked by contacting the Bahamas Tourist Office email@example.com
•The family must have travel insurance from time of booking.
•The prize is subject to flight and hotel availability. Blackout dates apply including, 8 December 2016 to 8 January 2017.
3. As part of the competition promotion, winners may be required to participate in media relations activities, which may include a quote and photos of your holiday.
4. There is no cash alternative to the stated prizes, and the prizes are not transferable or refundable.
5. Bahamas Tourist Office and Atlantis, Paradise Island reserve the right to amend or withdraw the competition in the event of any unforeseen circumstances outside their reasonable control. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the promoter reserves the right to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value. No correspondence will be entered into.
6. Bahamas Tourist Office and Atlantis, Paradise Island and their affiliates are not liable for any accident, injury or loss incurred by the prize winner’s participation in prize travel, accommodation and activities.
7. Bahamas Tourist Office and Atlantis, Paradise Island and their affiliates accept no responsibility for difficulties experienced in submitting an entry to this competition.
8. This promotion shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales.
9. Entry implies acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
10. The promoter is the Bahamas Tourist Office.
11. Details of the winner will be available from: Bahamas Tourist Office, 10 Chesterfield Street, London W1J 5JL
_ _ _
- The grand prize winner and the three other category winners will each win a Nikon D5500 digital SLR camera, courtesy of Nikon.
- All four category winners’ pictures will be entered into the National Geographic International Photography Contest for Kids 2016 - you can view specific terms and conditions for the international competition, here.